Congregation Shearith Israel, the Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue, was founded in 1654, the first Jewish congregation to be established in North America.
Our links to the past are made tangible by our everyday use and display of ritual treasures and historic relics.
Members of Shearith Israel left their mark on history, both in terms of their contributions to the congregation and in terms of their contributions to the civic life of New York and America.
Over the centuries Congregation Shearith Israel has been housed in five different synagogue buildings and established at least four cemeteries.
Shearith Israel’s cemeteries are critical to the preservation and transmission of our congregational story. Three historic and one active cemetery are maintained by the congregation and each has a tale to tell.